The quest needed broken down into items that I could manage and work through.
To get started, I jotted down the items in the order they popped into my head – it looked like this:-
- Do I want to be buried or cremated?
- Do I want to donate organs?
- Where should I be buried/ cremated?
- What if I die abroad?
- What is the best way to go?
- Do I need some kind of insurance policy?
- How much does it all cost?
- Should I get a group thing – a family plot or something?
- Do I want a religious ceremony?
- Do I want a wake?
- How much control do you get?
- Do I need to specify my wishes in a will?
- How does it fit together with my family – especially with my wife?
You see how many unknowns there are, and how lost I am about this, but I have made a start. I think the next step is to have a chat with my wife to see if we are on the same page in a general sense, then I can forward and start searching properly.